Did You Know?
MBBP has had a presence at CIC-Cambridge from its earliest days - 2004 to be exact.
From the firm’s inception, American companies have relied on the attorneys of Morse, Barnes-Brown & Pendleton for legal and business advice as they expand their enterprise from the United States to the rest of the world, while businesses from countries around the world look to our attorneys for advice and guidance in launching and growing their businesses in the US. Our attorneys count as personal friends businesspeople and lawyers from many countries and diverse cultures, and as a result of their experiences, are able to bring exceptional knowledge and understanding to each international client matter.
Mergers & Acquisitions, Capital Markets, Venture Capital, Private Equity
Our experienced team of corporate attorneys partners with our clients to help them reach their key business objectives while meeting the challenges of a constantly changing business environment. We work with clients including startups, emerging companies, local and national private businesses, investment funds and publicly-traded companies through all stages of the business life cycle. We provide an exceptional level of responsiveness and accessibility appropriate to the standards of today’s marketplace, and we strive to understand each client’s business and its particular demands so that we can serve as business advisors and not merely as legal technicians. Please visit our Corporate Practice page for a full description of our corporate transaction capabilities.
Business Litigation, Arbitration and Mediation
Disputes are a normal part of conducting business, and our guiding principle is to provide superior legal representation that augments, and is consistent with, our clients’ business needs and objectives. The members of the business litigation group advise and represent startups, mid-stage, and mature businesses in a wide range of industries, from a number of countries, across a wide range of complex business disputes, in court actions and in mediation and domestic and international arbitrations. We understand that the reputation of American business for litigiousness – and the perceived risk both to businesses and individuals – is a serious concern for companies from other countries that are considering entering the US market, and we help our foreign clients understand both how litigation is used as a business tool on the continuum of dispute resolution within the American business culture and how to manage and contain the perceived risks. For a full description of our business dispute resolution capabilities, please see our Business Litigation page.
Our employment practice assists internationally-based clients in the US with the full range of employment matters in New England and throughout the US, particularly including counseling on the legal and cultural differences between American employer-employee relations and employment relationships in other countries. We provide forms of offer letters, employment agreements, employee handbooks, policies and other documents for use with employees, and we work with our clients to adapt the forms as needed for specific situations. Foreign employment matters of our US clients, including expatriates and secondments, are managed through collaboration with our colleagues in the 44 member and correspondent firms of LawExchange International, with offices in 42 countries and 85 cities representing approximately 80% of world GDP. When our clients need the expertise of other service providers in the employment area, including human resources consultants, benefits providers, and private employer organizations (PEOs), we introduce them to our network of trusted providers. For a full description of our employment capabilities, please see Employment Practice page.
Tax Planning and Tax Controversies
Careful consideration of federal and state tax law is critical in structuring relationships and transactions throughout the life cycle of a business. We advise clients – both inbound companies launching their business in the US and US-based clients expanding to foreign markets – about the tax impact of proposed strategies and the path to a tax-efficient result for selection of the optimal type of business entity for the client’s planned business; planning of tax-efficient structures for acquisitions and sales of businesses and business interests; executive compensation; structuring of investment partnerships and funds; private equity and venture capital investments in portfolio companies; taxation of multistate business operations; federal and state tax credits and tax incentives for investments; tax planning for public charities and private foundations; and complex tax controversies with the US Internal Revenue Service and state tax authorities. Please visit our Taxation page for a full description of our tax capabilities.
Worldwide Intellectual Property Protection
We assist both domestic and foreign clients with the protection of their intellectual property by exploiting the full range of IP assets. Our patent prosecution team designs and implements strategically conceived and value-oriented patent portfolios for our clients, and advises them on assessing and avoiding the patent rights of others. Our trademark team assists clients with the selection, registration and enforcement of marks in the United States and abroad. We provide copyright registration services to protect works of authorship such as software code and we represent authors in copyright matters. Our attorneys also assist clients with developing and implementing effective trade secret protection programs. For a full description of our intellectual property capabilities, please see our IP Practice page.
Please Note: The following are matters handled by current MBBP attorneys while here or while at a previous firm.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented a Massachusetts-based injectable radiopharmaceuticals manufacturer in its sale to an Indian pharmaceutical company.
- Provided tax and M&A advice to business with sister companies in US & Canada regarding tax & corporate deal issues in sale of business.
- Represented UK-based online ticketing company in sale to EU buyer.
- Represented a Massachusetts-based high voltage electronics company in its acquisition by a Japanese instrumentation company.
- Represented a French conglomerate in its purchase of a Massachusetts-based software company.
- Represented a Massachusetts-based laser-scanning cytometry instrumentation company, the majority stockholder of which was a Catalonia family, in its acquisition by a New Jersey-based manufacturer of photonics products.
Financings and Joint Ventures
- Represented UK-based online ticketing company in multiple venture financings.
- Represented venture fund in investment in Spanish company requiring reincorporation in US as closing condition.
- Represented the US subsidiary of an English software company in the establishment of a joint venture with a second English software company.
- Represented a Rhode Island-based software company in the establishment of a joint venture with a Swiss software company.
- Represented fund to enable investment by Chinese investors in US assets.
- Represented a Luxembourg-based investment company in an investment in a New York alternative energy venture.
- Represented a Massachusetts-based health care services company in a private equity investment by a Swiss citizen.
- Represented a Latvian industrial company in establishing a joint venture with an Illinois concern (with local counsel assistance from Gould & Ratner).
IP / Contracting
- Representation of German medical device manufacturer in multiple strategic licensing relationships.
- Provided patent advice to Spanish biotech company regarding US strategic portfolio analysis.
- Represented of US biotech in acquisition of drug candidate from Israeli company.
- Completed patent prosecution and portfolio strategy work for medical device manufacturer owned by Swedish parent company.
- Represented the US subsidiary of an English software company in the purchase of a website and database from party in Brazil (with assistance from Lautenschlager, Romeiro and Iwamizu).
- Defended affiliates of Japanese pharmaceutical company in Massachusetts class action arising out of its multibillion dollar acquisition of Massachusetts corporation.
- Defended Italian company in Massachusetts lawsuit concerning a distribution agreement for medical device products.
- Defended Taiwanese company in Massachusetts litigation alleging trade secrets misappropriation and unfair trade practices.
- Represented German companies in Massachusetts litigation asserting and defending claims regarding a manufacturing facility for solar panels.
- Defended French company and its US subsidiary in five class actions challenging acquisition of a Rhode Island company.
- Advised German brain injury recuperation software company.
- Represented a US-based market leader in diagnostic instruments for critical care and hemostasis in employment matters.
- Represented a high voltage technology company that designs and produces radiation sources, particle accelerators and high voltage systems and now is owned by a Japanese conglomerate.
- Assisted an India-American cultural and religious organization in establishing non-profit status.
- Direct Dial