Shannon’s practice is focused primarily in the areas of private equity, venture capital, M&A transactions, and corporate governance.
He spent several years as a general counsel in a venture-backed telecommunications company, and leverages that experience, together with his significant years of private practice, to act as outside general counsel to a number of early stage and middle market clients. He advises investor and executive management clients on a host of issues, including M&A, private equity and venture capital transactions, corporate governance and executive compensation.
Shannon is Co-Chair of the Firm’s Corporate Practice Group. He has also served on the Firm’s Management Committee, on the Technology Committee, and on the M&A Subcommittee. He is the past Chair of the Firm’s Venture Capital Practice Group, and is a past member of the Marketing Committee. Previously, Shannon was elected to both the Finance Committee and the Town Council of Franklin, MA.
- Represented Adaptive Computing Enterprises, Inc., a provider of workload- and resource-management software and services, in its sale to ALA Services, LLC, an enterprise software investment company, headquartered in Naples, Florida.
- Represented Firehouse Capital, Inc., a privately held investment company that makes entrepreneurial investments in early stage technology companies and real estate, in its investment of the acquisition of TLC @ Home, a leading non-medical home care agency.
- Represented Blue Stream Laboratories, Inc., an analytical contract research organization supporting the development of complex biologics and biosimilars, in its acquisition by Charles River Laboratories International, Inc. (NYSE: CRL), a leading provider to support biologic and biosimilar development from characterization through clinical testing and commercialization.
- Represented 3C Electrical Company, Inc., a recognized leader in the electrical power industry, in in its acquisition by CE Power Solutions, LLC, a private equity backed, leading-edge provider of asset integrity for new and existing electrical power systems.
- Represented All Star Auto in connection with a recapitalization of Motor Pool Holdings involving a hedge fund investment group.
- Represented Virgin Pulse, the leading habits-focused well-being company, in a $92,000,000 growth equity/recapitalization financing led by Insight Venture Partners.
- Represented Diversified Project Management, a leading provider of owner’s project management services throughout the greater Boston/New England region in its $11,000,000 acquisition by STV, a leader in providing a range of construction management, planning, engineering, architectural, and environmental services for energy, transportation, infrastructure and facilities projects.
- Represented Tivoli Audio LLC, an iconic high-performance audio company, in its acquisition by Toronto-based Serruya Private Equity to serve as its flagship consumer electronics brand.
- Represented Invoke Solutions, Inc., a leading technology company that provides a unique, real-time, online platform for Large Scale Focus Groups, in a merger transaction with Academic Management Systems, Inc., a company that provides the leading course evaluation software for universities, colleges, health profession schools, and proprietary schools.
- Represented ETEX Holdings, Inc., a provider of nanocrystalline calcium-phosphate-based biomaterials that promote the repair and regeneration of bone damaged by trauma or disease, in its $60,000,000 acquisition by Zimmer Holdings, Inc., a developer and manufacturer of orthopedic reconstructive, spinal and trauma devices, dental implants, and related surgical products.
- Represented Hastings Equity Fund, L.P. in its sale of Advanced Precision Products, Inc., a leading manufacturer of highly engineered components and products for oil and gas, medical, aerospace, automotive, military and commercial OEMs, as well as APP’s subsidiaries (Profiles, Premco, HowesTemco and Holmed), to Precision Engineered Products, LLC for $32,500,000, which transaction enables PEP’s to significantly augment its manufacturing solutions portfolio with complex metal machining and cold forming capabilities.
- Represented Audley Travel US, Inc., a subsidiary of a leading private equity backed UK travel service, in its negotiation of a major credit facility with Barclays Bank.
- Represented Epoxy Technologies, Inc., a leading manufacturer of specialty adhesives, in its acquisition of JP Kummar GmbH.
- Represented Danlin Industries, Inc., a supplier of specialty chemicals to the oil and gas industry, in its $100,000,000 sale to Arsenal Capital Partners.
- Represented Fuel For Fire, Inc., a health and nutrition retailer, in a Series B Convertible Preferred Stock Financing.
- Represented Advanced Precision Products, Inc., a leading manufacturer of highly engineered metallic and non-metallic products, in its acquisition of Holmed, Inc.
- Represented Adaptive Computing Enterprises, Inc., a provider of workload- and resource-management software and services, in a Convertible Note Offering with Intel Capital, Tudor Ventures and Epic Ventures.
- Represented Fluid Management Holdings, LLC, a provider of water hauling, disposal and acid services for oil & gas exploration and production companies, in its $50,000,000 sale to Prospect Capital Corporation.
- Represented iZotope, Inc., an audio technology company developing professional audio software, in a $15,000,000 Series A Preferred Financing with ABS Capital.
- Represented Tudor Ventures, a venture capital and private equity investment management firm, in a Series C Preferred Stock Financing with SiGNa Chemistry, Inc
- Represented Fuel For Fire, Inc., a health and nutrition retailer, in a Series A Convertible Preferred Stock Financing.
- Represented Outside The Classroom, Inc., a provider of the largest online alcohol prevention course AlcoholEdu®, in its sale to EverFi, Inc.
- Represented Sabal Medical, Inc., a privately held company whose products are helping hospitals deliver medications to their patients more safely and efficiently, in its $11,000,000 sale to Swisslog USA, Inc.
- Represented Adaptive Computing Enterprises, Inc., a provider of workload- and resource-management software and services, in a $15,000,000 Series A Preferred Stock Purchase by Intel Capital, Tudor Ventures, Epic Ventures.
- Represented MacSpeech, Inc., a provider of speech recognition software, in its $15,000,000 sale to Nuance Communications.
- Represented Advanced Precision Products, Inc., a leading manufacturer of highly engineered metallic and non-metallic products, in its acquisition of Premco, Inc.
- Represented CVTIPS.com, an online resume company, in its sale to Internet Brands.
- Represented Webb Research Corporation, a designer and manufacturer of scientific instruments for oceanographic research and monitoring, in its sale to Teledyne Technologies.
- Represented Custom Learning Designs, a developer of quality educational materials for the pharmaceutical,biotech,healthcare, and medical device industries, in anMBO transaction.
- Represented Seacon Phoenix Incorporated, a provider of undersea electrical interconnect subsystems to the global submarine market, in its $37,000,000 sale to Ametek, Inc
- Represented Genzyme Corporation, a biotech company focused on discovering and delivering medicines for rare diseases & MS, in a sale of certain assets to Cell Genesis, Inc.
Exit Planning Exchange (XPX) - Co-founder
MomsTEAM Institute of Youth Sports Safety - Board of Directors
TB12 Foundation, LLC - Board of Directors
ACG (Boston Chapter)
Speaker, 2018 New England Business Summit
Panelist, Bridging the Valuation Gap - Earn-outs, AM&AA New England Chapter
Interview with The Radio Entrepreneurs on the Exit Planning Exchange (XPX) Boston
Moderator, M&A or IPO, That’s the Question, TiECON East
Interview with The Radio Entrepreneurs on emerging trends in private equity and venture capital transactions
Presenter, Management Buyouts, Pinnacle Equity Solutions
Presenter, In-House Counsel: Establishing Yourself as a Key Strategic Advisor to Your Business Team, New England Corporate Counsel Association (NECCA)
Quoted: Regulators' Inquiries Into Aetna Claims Review Practices Not Likely to Derail CVS Merger: Lawyers, ALM's The National Law Journal
Quoted: Lawyers Say Fed. Regulators Likely Will Closely Scrutinize Aetna-CVS Deal, ALM's The National Law Journal
Quoted: Should Uber's Salle Yoo Have Taken Earlier Look At Critical Due Diligence Report?, ALM's Corporate Counsel
Quoted: 10 Uber In-House Attorneys Saw Due Diligence Report in Battle with Alphabet, ALM's Corporate Counsel
Trump Administration Must Enact Policies Quickly, Boston Business Journal
Quoted: Was a Weekend Enough for Facebook's M&A Due Diligence?, ALM's Corporate Counsel
Quoted: LPC: US Blue-Chip M&A Offers Loan Volume Boost, Reuters
Deal Season Triage: As The Year Winds Down, The Pressure On M&A Lawyers Heats Up, ALM's Corporate Counsel
Sellers Beware: 5 Problems That Can Sink Your Deal
Massachusetts Business Lawyering - The In-House Law Department
Outside the office
Shannon is a fitness and sports enthusiast, enjoys coaching his children in various youth sports, and has an interest in both local and national politics.
News & Events
- 2017 M&A Deals
A sampling of the year's M&A transactions
February 26, 2018
- 2017 VC Deals
A sampling of the year's venture capital transactions
February 20, 2018
- 2016 M&A Deals
A sampling of the year's M&A transactions
February 14, 2017
- 2015 M&A Deals
A sampling of the year's M&A transactions
March 31, 2016
- VIDEO: M&A Clips
Top Issues in M&A Transactions
December 14, 2015
- Northeastern University School of Law, J.D.
- Brigham Young University, Sc.B.
- Massachusetts Bar
- Licensing & Strategic Alliances
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Investment Funds & Advisers
- Startups & Emerging Companies
- Venture Capital