A member of the firm since 1995, Chip has extensive experience in structuring business organizations, transactions, and ownership arrangements from a tax standpoint.
Chip serves as outside general counsel to private, U.S.-based operating companies and investment funds. The operating companies Chip represents are engaged in a wide range of businesses and include investor-funded companies, family-owned companies, employee-owned companies, and U.S. subsidiaries of foreign parents. The investment funds he represents include private equity funds, funds of funds, venture funds, and real estate funds.
Chip serves on the Firm’s Management Committee and is Chair of the Firm’s Associate and Paralegal Committee.
Chip has also been recognized as a MA Super Lawyer.
• Has served as outside general counsel for over 20 years to a family-owned group of companies engaged in the marine transportation of petroleum products, ship docking and marine construction, handling matters that include ownership succession, fleet finance, acquisitions, dispositions, vessel chartering and construction projects.
• Has formed a number of private equity funds, funds of funds and venture funds and represented the funds in their ongoing transactions and affairs.
• Has formed a number of real estate funds engaged in the acquisition, leasing and management of single-family residences in the Midwestern United States and represented the funds in their ongoing transactions and affairs.
• Serves as outside general counsel to a well-known, global design and innovation consulting firm, handling matters that include project engagements, organizational structuring, internal affairs and equity incentives.
• Serves as outside general counsel to a number of private, investor-funded companies formed to develop and sell (or license) technical products (including energy monitoring equipment, handheld X-ray equipment and medical devices) or provide business services and solutions.
• Represented a company engaged in providing and managing campus card services to colleges and universities from formation through sale to a well-known provider of knowledge and campus technologies and solutions.
• Represented a company engaged in providing business research services in its acquisition by a large, publicly traded provider of information to businesses and professionals.
Presenter, Primer on Preparing Massachusetts & Delaware LLC Documents, MCLE
Presenter, LLCs Demystified, MCLE
Outside the office
Chip is an Adjunct Professor in the Graduate Tax Program at Boston University School of Law, having taught there since 1999. He currently teaches courses on the tax aspects of transactions and on the tax issues that businesses encounter at the various stages of their life cycles (from choosing the form of organization through selling the business).
Outside of work, Chip enjoys spending time with his family, cycling, kayaking, music and landscaping.
News & Events
- 2016 M&A Deals
A sampling of the year's M&A transactions
February 14, 2017
- Tax Considerations in Choosing the Proper Form of Business Entity
September 8, 2016
- Tax Aspects of Investor Financings
May 10, 2016
- Tax Aspects of Buy-Sells
April 8, 2016
- Stock Options and Restricted Stock
April 7, 2016
- New York University School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation
- Boston College Law School, J.D.
- Cornell University, B.S.
- Massachusetts Bar
- Arizona Bar
- Commercial Debt Financing
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Investment Funds & Advisers
- Startups & Emerging Companies
- Tax Planning for Business Transactions
- Venture Capital