An experienced private funds attorney, Josh is a member of the Corporate Practice group’s PIFA team. Josh focuses his practice on representing investment advisers, private investment funds, and institutional investors on a broad range of matters related to fund formations, secondary transactions, and portfolio investments.
Josh advises fund sponsors when they form private investment funds, operate private investment funds, or make portfolio investments. With a demonstrably diverse client base, Josh has represented funds—including venture capital, co-investment, secondaries, and funds of funds—ranging in size from less than $50 million to more than $750 million, helping these clients market their funds throughout the world. Josh’s experience includes establishing on-shore funds, off-shore funds, separate accounts, parallel funds, feeder funds, and alternative investment vehicles. His sponsor-side work includes representing:
- a California-based manager in the establishment of its first fund, a $50 million fund that invests in early stage software companies;
- a New York-based manager in the formation of its seventh fund, a $500 million fund that purchases of interests in venture capital, buyout, mezzanine and other private equity funds on the secondary market;
- a Chicago-based manager in the formation of a $750 million separate account with a governmental pension plan, a $500 million fund of funds, and a $250 million co-investment fund; and
- a Maryland-based manager in the formation of several funds of funds, special purpose vehicles, and co-investment funds.
Josh also represents institutional investors when they invest in private investment funds, buy or sell fund interests on the secondary market, or participate in co-investment transactions. For example, he has guided his clients through more than 100 investments in private funds, including buyout, co-investment, credit, energy, growth equity, hedge, infrastructure, real estate, special situations, venture capital and other types of private funds. Josh also has represented both buyers and sellers in secondary transactions having an aggregate transaction value in excess of $1 billion. In addition to representing several funds of funds and a family investment office, Josh’s investor-side clients have included:
- an asset manager that has more than $30 billion of assets under management;
- a state pension plan that has more than $75 billion of assets under management; and
- a sovereign wealth fund that has more than $15 billion of assets under management.
Immediately before joining MBBP in 2016, Josh practiced at Proskauer Rose LLP where he was a member of that firm’s internationally-recognized private investment funds group for six years.
Moderator, End of Life Issues for Private Equity and Venture Capital Funds, ABA 2017 Business Law Section Annual Meeting
Quoted: Private Equity Eyes Tax and Financial Reform in the Trump Era, Bloomberg
Outside the office
In his spare time, Josh can be found working in Charlestown’s community garden or hiking with his wife in New Hampshire’s White Mountains. He particularly enjoys having a cup of hot soup on a long winter hike.
News & Events
- First Time Funds
The fundraising environment is strong; the fundraising process is hard
January 16, 2018
- Adviser Sanctioned for False Statements to Prospective Investors
January 11, 2018
- TPG Pays $12.8 Million to Settle Allegations that it Misled Investors
January 8, 2018
- Attack of the Indirect Investor, Again
September 28, 2017
- Attack of the Indirect Investor
September 20, 2017