A member of the Firm’s litigation group, Amanda focuses her practice on commercial civil disputes, securities litigation, and employment disputes, and has broad experience working with clients under investigation by federal and state government agencies. Amanda is both an attorney and a Certified Public Accountant (CPA). Her clients have included software companies, medical device manufacturers, large national law firms, investment managers, hedge funds, bondholders, accounting professionals, auditors, and individual officers and directors.
Amanda also serves as outside general counsel to private companies and non-profits engaged in a wide range of businesses, including tech startups. In that capacity, she advises senior management on a wide range of legal and business issues, including employment and contract matters.
Amanda’s pro bono practice includes representing disabled veterans before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veteran Claims, providing tax counseling to low-income and elderly taxpayers, and advising low income pro se litigants in family court.
Prior to law school, Amanda, who holds a bachelor’s degree in accountancy, was a financial accountant for large publicly traded companies in various industries. Her duties included preparing financial statements, working with auditors to complete quarter-end reviews and year-end audits, managing accounting staff, and implementing Sarbanes-Oxley.
Before that, Amanda served as a Special Agent in the U.S. Air Force Office of Special Investigations, investigating contractor fraud and felony-level criminal allegations. She also worked in counter-terrorism and protected President Clinton and other heads of state.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in all aspects of successful litigation involving a complex contract indemnification dispute with the former shareholders of a company that the manufacturer had acquired.
- Represented national law firm and five individual partners in connection with employment discrimination and retaliation suit, securing dismissal of all claims against them at summary judgment.
- Represented significant creditors in bankruptcy litigation involving complex tax and accounting issues, securing a very favorable asset sale and global settlement of tax-related and other claims against the debtors’ parent.
- Obtained very favorable settlement of all claims for significant Lehman creditor in connection with bankruptcy litigation regarding claims against the Lehman Estate under various derivatives contracts.
- Represents significant creditors in ongoing bankruptcy litigation involving complex accounting issues.
- Investigated allegations of financial fraud and improper revenue recognition on behalf of the Special Committee of the board of a publicly traded Fortune 50 company.
- Successfully defended accounting professionals and audit firms in connection with federal investigations into issues associated with audits of public companies.
- Successfully defended individuals and corporations under SEC investigation for financial fraud, including complex revenue recognition and software capitalization issues.
- Represented medical device manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies in connection with whistleblower actions under the False Claims Act, including successful motions to dismiss fraud claims.
- Assisted medical device manufacturer in negotiating resolution of wide-ranging Department of Justice investigation into sales and marketing practices.
- Successfully represented plaintiff in East v. Blue Cross & Blue Shield of La., et al. (M.D. La. 2014), an action under the Affordable Care Act’s nondiscrimination provisions that addressed the disparate impact on people living with HIV from insurers’ anticipated rejection of federal Ryan White funds.
MIT Club of Boston, Board Member
Outside the office
Outside the office, Amanda enjoys flying airplanes, archery, target shooting, singing, ballroom dancing, charity work, volunteering with the MIT Parents Association, and spending time with her family.
News & Events
- Top 13 Tips in Responding to a Complaint
January 31, 2018
- Top 11 Tips in Responding to a Subpoena
January 16, 2018
- MBBP's Amanda Phillips Named Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly 2017 Up & Coming Lawyer
March 6, 2017
- MBBP Attorney Amanda Phillips Receives Certification in Accounting
August 10, 2016
- MBBP Begins the New Year By Adding Two Associates
February 9, 2016
- Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude
Journal of Law and Public Policy (Executive Editor)
- Bentley University, B.S., summa cum laude
- Community College of the Air Force, A.S.
- Massachusetts Bar
- New Hampshire Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Business Litigation
- Claim Defense & Litigation
- Corporate Governance
- Employment Litigation
- Probate & Trust Litigation