Joseph C. Marrow
A member and chairman of the firm's corporate practice group, Joe’s practice focuses on the representation of private and public high technology companies and entrepreneurs throughout the business life cycle, from corporate formation through liquidity event. He provides legal advice on a wide array of corporate legal matters with a particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, financings (debt and equity), securities compliance and reporting, corporate governance, intellectual property, employment and general day-to-day corporate counseling.
Joe previously spent several years practicing in the area of commercial business litigation (including representing clients in matters before various state appellate courts and in the federal district court). His unique blend of experience, both in the litigation and corporate arenas, allows him to counsel clients to take preventative measures to avoid litigation and to understand and guard against the protracted nature of litigation.
Using the combination of skills he has developed, Joe regularly serves as outside general counsel to the clients he represents providing legal advice and direction with respect to all legal matters. Joe’s clients cover various industries including software development, internet security, alternative energy, consumer products, smart grid, web application development, manufacturing and publishing.
Joe serves on the board of directors and is the secretary of the Merrimack Valley Venture Forum, a non-profit organization that facilitates growth in the region’s technology and scientific sectors by connecting entrepreneurs, emerging and established companies, service providers, academics and investors. He is a mentor in the MIT $100K competition. Joe has served as a guest lecturer on venture capital at Boston College’s Carroll School of Management. Additionally, he served as a judge in SBANE’s New England Innovation Awards program. He is also a member of the American, Massachusetts and Boston Bar Associations.
Joe is a magna cum laude graduate of Bowdoin College and a graduate of Northeastern University School of Law.
- Represented Bridgeline Digital, Inc. (NASDAQ: BLIN), a leading developer of web application management software and web applications, in connection with its initial public offering and the acquisition of several web application development companies throughout the United States including Objectware, Inc., Tenth Floor, Inc., Purple Monkey Studios, Inc., New Tilt, Inc., Indigio Group, Inc., TMXInteractive, e.magination, Magnetic Corporation and MarketNet.
- Represented Lawrence Pumps, Inc., a privately-owned manufacturer of highly engineered critical service centrifugal pumps used in the oil and gas industries, in its sale to Flowserve (NYSE: FLS)
- Represented Prospectiv Direct, Inc., a pioneer in online performance marketing and operator of a leading daily deal website in the US to Affinion Group, Inc., a global leader in customer engagement and loyalty solutions.
- Represented Fluidmesh Networks, Inc., a provider of wireless networking devices in the security industry, in connection with a sale of a controlling interest in the company to two Chicago-based private equity firms, Generation 3 Capital and Waveland Investments.
- Represented Bridgeline Digital, Inc. (NASDAQ: BLIN) in connection with two private placement offerings (PIPE transactions) with gross proceeds of $3.5 million.
- Represented Retica Systems, Inc., a developer of identity solutions and services, in its sale to L-1 Identity Solutions, Inc. (NYSE:ID).
- Represented Exit41, Inc., a provider of software that allows restaurant chains to manage take-out orders in off-site call centers, in connection with a $6 million recapitalization financing round led by GrandBanks Capital, Contour Venture Partners and Dace Ventures.
- Represented Polychromix, Inc., a developer and manufacturer of analytical spectroscopy solutions, in connection with its sale to Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. (NYSE: TMO).
- Serve as outside general counsel to public company that manufactures microwave and radio frequency components and integrated subassemblies used in a variety of defense, aerospace and commercial applications.
- Represented Elsevier Inc., a world-leading publisher of scientific, technical and medical information products and services in the stock purchase of MEDai Inc., a predictive analytics company and the purchase of assets from William Andrew Inc., a publishing company.
- Represented developer of photovoltaic modules for use in the solar power industry in connection with the sale of approximately $5 million in preferred stock to venture capital investors.
- Serve as outside general counsel to Kaspersky Lab, Inc., a leading antivirus software and internet security solution for homes and businesses.
- Serve as outside general counsel to Amperion, Inc., a provider of advanced communications solutions to electric utilities that enable multiple smart grid applications.
- Represented RockBlocks Group, Inc. d/b/a Arigo, a leading global sourcing and supply solution for national consumer chains, in a management-led buyout of the assets of the RockBlocks business unit from Tourtelotte Solutions, as well as a stock and debt financing led by Brook Venture Partners.
- Represented 89 Degrees, LLC, a full-service marketing agency that leverages database technology and web analytics, in the purchase of certain assets from Valassis Communications, Inc. (NYSE: VCI) comprising the 1 to 1 Solutions business division.
- Represented Innov-X Systems, Inc., a leading provider of portable x-ray fluorescence technology for elemental analysis, in the sale of $28,750,000 in a preferred stock financing led by Summit Partners, and in an asset purchase from an Australian company.
- Represented two privately-held companies in connection with tender offers involving the sale of over $60 million in stock from existing stockholders.
- Represented TechTarget, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTGT), a content provider to IT professionals, in connection with approximately $100 million in venture capital financings, and in the acquisition of Bitpipe, Inc.
- Represented Tasker Capital Corp. (NASDAQ: TKER) in connection with several private investments in public entity (PIPE) transactions, general securities compliance and an asset acquisition for cash and stock.
- Represented Openera Technologies, Inc., a provider of IMS mobile client applications for both fixed and mobile operators, in the sale of all of its stock to NMS Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: NMSS).
Recent Articles by Joseph Marrow:
Hiring a Professional Stockholder Representative
Enhanced Whistleblower Provisions
Under Dodd-Frank Act
Planning for a Liquidity Event