Joe serves as outside general counsel to a wide range of privately-held and publicly–traded emerging and middle-market companies. He guides his clients through all phases of the business life cycle, from corporate formation to liquidity events.
While Joe’s practice encompasses a variety of legal issues including incorporations, debt and equity financings, and corporate governance, he has particular expertise in the area of M&A transactions, counseling clients on both the buy side and the sell side. Utilizing his prior experience as a commercial business litigator, Joe also advises his clients on preventative measures to help avoid the high cost of protracted litigation.
Joe has been actively involved in firm management. He is the Co-Chair of the Firm's Corporate Practice Group and Chair of its M&A Practice Group. Previously, Joe served on the Firm's Management Committee and chaired the Marketing Committee, lending his insight and experience to the Firm's marketing, branding and business development efforts, including the redesign of the Firm's website.
- Represented Vivonics, Inc. in its sale of certain Artificial Lung technology to Lung Biotechnology PBC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of United Therapeutics Corporation.
- Represented AbPro Corporation, a biotechnology company engaged in the delivery of antibodies for research purposes, in multiple rounds of equity financing.
- Represented a manufacturer and supplier of active alignment technologies in connection with financing activities and its sale to a strategic partner.
- Represented Spectro Scientific, Inc., a leading provider of analytical instruments and software for oil and fuel analysis, in connection with acquisitions of Wilks Enterprise, Inc., and On-Site Analysis, Inc.
- Represented SciAps, Inc., an instrumentation company specializing in portable analytical instruments, in connection with the acquisition of DeltaNu and in connection with multiple rounds of debt and equity financings.
- Represented B.E. Peterson, Inc., a contract manufacturing and custom metal fabricator, in connection with a management-led buyout involving a debt and equity recapitalization.
- Represented GeoVantage, Inc., an aerial imaging company for commercial applications, in connection with a Series A Financing round.
- Represented Bridgeline Digital, Inc. (NASDAQ: BLIN), a leading developer of web application management software and web applications, in connection with its initial public offering and the acquisition of nine web application development companies throughout the United States and multiple private placement (PIPE) transactions.
- Represented Lawrence Pumps, Inc., a privately-owned manufacturer of highly engineered critical service centrifugal pumps used in the oil and gas industries, in its sale to Flowserve (NYSE: FLS)
- Represented Prospectiv Direct, Inc., a pioneer in online performance marketing and operator of a leading daily deal website in the US to Affinion Group, Inc., a global leader in customer engagement and loyalty solutions.
- Represented FitLinxx, Inc., a leading provider of wellness applications, wireless activity monitors and health tracking devices in connection with a Series C financing round.
- Represented Fluidmesh Networks, Inc., a provider of wireless networking devices in the security industry, in connection with a sale of a controlling interest in the company to two Chicago-based private equity firms, Generation 3 Capital and Waveland Investments.
- Represented Retica Systems, Inc., a developer of identity solutions and services, in its sale to L-1 Identity Solutions, Inc. (NYSE:ID).
- Represented Exit41, Inc., a provider of software that allows restaurant chains to manage take-out orders in off-site call centers, in connection with a $6 million recapitalization financing round led by GrandBanks Capital, Contour Venture Partners and Dace Ventures.
- Represented Polychromix, Inc., a developer and manufacturer of analytical spectroscopy solutions, in connection with its sale to Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. (NYSE: TMO).
- Represented Elsevier Inc., a world-leading publisher of scientific, technical and medical information products and services in the stock purchase of MEDai Inc., a predictive analytics company and the purchase of assets from William Andrew Inc., a publishing company.
- Represented developer of photovoltaic modules for use in the solar power industry in connection with the sale of approximately $5 million in preferred stock to venture capital investors.
- Serve as outside general counsel to Kaspersky Lab, Inc., a leading antivirus software and internet security solutions for homes and businesses.
- Represented Innov-X Systems, Inc., a leading provider of portable x-ray fluorescence technology for elemental analysis, in the sale of $28,750,000 in a preferred stock financing led by Summit Partners, and in an asset purchase from an Australian company.
- Represented two privately-held companies in connection with tender offers involving the sale of over $60 million in stock from existing stockholders.
- Represented TechTarget, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTGT), a content provider to IT professionals, in connection with approximately $100 million in venture capital financings, and in the acquisition of Bitpipe, Inc.
- Represented Tasker Capital Corp. (NASDAQ: TKER) in connection with several private investments in public entity (PIPE) transactions, general securities compliance and an asset acquisition for cash and stock.
- Represented Openera Technologies, Inc., a provider of IMS mobile client applications for both fixed and mobile operators, in the sale of all of its stock to NMS Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: NMSS).
Board of Directors/Secretary of the Merrimack Valley Venture Forum
MIT 100K Competition [past] Mentor
NEBA (f.k.a. SBANE) Innovation Awards [past] Judge
Moderator, T&C's Made Simple, 2018 VC and M&A Forum
Guest lecturer, Venture Capital Term Sheets, Boston College’s Carroll School of Management
A Solution for Smaller Companies?, Boston Business Journal
Outside the office
Joe is an avid Boston sports fan and outside the office enjoys spending time with family, golfing and exercising.
News & Events
- 2017 M&A Deals
A sampling of the year's M&A transactions
February 26, 2018
- 2017 VC Deals
A sampling of the year's venture capital transactions
February 20, 2018
- M&A Today - July 2017
July 13, 2017
- Top Considerations
Sale of Company
July 13, 2017
- 2016 M&A Deals
A sampling of the year's M&A transactions
February 14, 2017
- 2019 VC and M&A Forum
May 2, 2019
- Northeastern University School of Law, J.D.
- Bowdoin College, A.B., magna cum laude
- Massachusetts Bar
- Commercial Debt Financing
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Startups & Emerging Companies
- Venture Capital