An engineer, a Registered Patent Attorney, a former in-house patent counsel, and a former adjunct professor, Sean is a member of the Firm’s Intellectual Property practice, the leader of its high-tech patent practice, and the head of its Trademark practice.
He is well known as being a highly responsive, collaborative attorney, having over 20 years of experience in IP. His work encompasses many areas of intellectual property protection, including provisional, non-provisional/utility patent and design patent preparation and prosecution, trademark registration, IP due diligence, IP audits, IP governance, and the provision of patentability, non-infringement and freedom-to-operate opinions, as well as identification of infringing competitor products. Sean works closely with a wide range of clients to fulfill their intellectual property needs, including IP portfolio development, strategy, and implementation for startup companies with foundational patent and trademark filings, for emerging growth companies with market share they need to protect from competitors, and for international conglomerates with massive US and international patent and trademark portfolios.
Sean works to achieve client goals in protecting patentable inventions in a broad collection of technologies, including medical devices, consumer products, HVAC, energy, clean tech, footwear, apparel, sporting goods, mechanical, electrical, software, computer hardware, telecommunications, and combination technologies including Internet of Things (IoT) technologies, robotics, and mechatronics, securing both utility patent protection, and design patent protection for ornamental product designs.
- Managed, built and grew an international patent portfolio for a cutting edge platform technology of a US company leading up to its acquisition for almost $700 million.
- Assisted a client in navigating the intellectual property due diligence investigation for a successful $15 million venture financing.
- Successfully implemented a long-term patent strategy for a startup company to protect vital intellectual property with limited resources by protecting key aspects of their technology with a single provisional application that kept competitors at bay through the company’s growth to a multi-million dollar corporation with a US and International patent portfolio.
- Drafted and successfully prosecuted numerous patent applications in crowded technology spaces to obtain valuable patent protection.
- Worked closely with engineering teams to analyze prior art patents and design new and innovative products while avoiding infringement of competitor patents.
Panelist, Intellectual Property: The Ins and Outs, TechSandBox
Office Hours, Topic: Patent, TechSandBox
Speaker, Accelerate Program Bootcamp, Wentworth Institute of Technology
Speaker, Legal Basics for Game Companies, MBBP Seminar
Speaker, MBBP Patent Law Discussion Series, MBBP Seminar
Speaker, Conducting Business in the U.S., swissnex Boston - Consulate of Switzerland
Speaker, Intellectual Property Overview, Massachusetts Society of Plastic Surgeons
Outside the office
Founding Member – Town Sustainable Energy Planning Committee
Founding Member – Sustainable Energy Committee
Master – Arthur J. Gajarsa Inn of Court (past)
Outside of the office, Sean enjoys spending time with family, coaching soccer, and hanging out with friends.
News & Events
- Matal v. Tam:
The Supreme Court Rejects the Prohibition on Disparaging Trademarks
June 22, 2017
- Recent Developments Should Have Trademark Owners Thinking Twice About Using Low-Cost Registration Services
March 21, 2017
- M&A Today - February 2016
February 25, 2016
- IP Due Diligence: Patentability vs. Patent Infringement
February 24, 2016
- IP News
December 23, 2015
- University of New Hampshire School of Law – The Franklin Pierce Center for Intellectual Property, J.D.
- Bucknell University, B.S.
- Massachusetts Bar
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- Master – American Inns of Court
- Engineer In Training - NCEES
- Educational Institutions & Hospitals
- Games & Interactive Entertainment
- Life Sciences
- Manufacturing & Construction
- Medical Devices
- Retail & Professional Services
- Software, Hardware & the Internet